Wednesday, August 30, 2017

USS BONHOMME RICHARD at Station Pier, Port Melbourne 2017

USS Bonhomme Richard. Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2017
This morning I went down to Station Pier, Port Melbourne specifically to see the gigantic amphibious USS Bonhomme Richard. Tbe temperature outside was about 9C degrees, but walking along the small pier adjacent to the ship it felt like about 4C degrees. The looks on the faces of about a dozen or so Melbournians who had also come down to see and photograph this historic event showed that they too were feeling the sharp bite of early morning freeze. Still it was worth it to see this lumbering, ugly, rusty ship that houses approximately 2,500 marines and staff that had been involved in the war games around Brisbane for the past few weeks. I met some of the guys from the ship who were most polite and answered my questions with either a 'yes maam' or 'no maam'. I was able to give them directions to the Museum. My sciatica and back pain were worsened by the fact that I'd been out in the cold for way too long so I treated myself to chocolate cake and coffee inside a warm, large cafe near the pier. On the tram ride back into the city I spoke with a group of people from Stawell who had come to Melbourne to see the theatrical version of The Bodyguard at the Regent Theatre, but had taken the opportunity to see the naval ship. They were lovely folk who spoke fondly of their little house in a small country town 3.5 hours away by train and the fact that their property was over-run by kangaroos. I was thinking as I spoke with them that one of the advantages of getting around on public transport is that you meet all kinds of people and I enjoy that.
USS Bonhomme Richard. Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2017
USS Bonhomme Richard. Photo: Julie Clarke (c) 2017
I took about a dozen photographs but think these are the best. Oh, by the way I think that the man with white hair, moustache and beard that I photographed at the Equal Love rally was indeed Bruce Pascoe, indigenous Australian writer. Ha! (As always if you discover spelling or typographical errors please forgive me, I'll attempt to correct them)...

No comments:

Post a Comment