Thursday, June 29, 2017

Black envelopes

I began the week planning to walk along the beach, any beach, but the temperature was so cold that being outdoors inhibited any desire I had to be near water. I've been reading two books this week: Memorial Mania - Public Feeling in America by Erika Doss, an amazing book, which charts public outpourings of grief by Americans in the aftermath of tragic events, and The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, a book I'd heard of but never read.
Last Friday I saw the best film I've seen in a while. A Quiet Obsession is compelling and incredibly sad. I think I cried three times throughout the film. And, talking about period dramas I saw My Counsin Rachel, but just didn't associate with either the male or female protagonists. I am however looking forward to seeing Lady Macbeth.
On Tuesday I found a pack of twenty black envelopes in an op shop in Malvern and have begin thinking about what I can do with them in relation to my theme of Old Knitter of Black Wool. Inspired in part by the scene in A Quiet Obsession in which Emily Dickinson is sewing her poems together to form small books, I've decided to print out some of the poetic prose I've written over the years and incorporate them into and onto the envelopes that I will form into a book. The working title for the work is: threads of life. I've always like envelopes, the notion of wrapping, the fact that when sealed they contain a secret, when opened there is a hint that something has yet to be secreted inside or that something has been removed. Envelopes are a vessell and as such they represent the body; itself a container of secrets. I'm hoping that the small book will be completed to show my readers by the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment