Thursday, February 23, 2017

NAOMI BISHOP

I've been watching Naomi Bishop's work for a while now and have pleasure in presenting some of the paintings to you. An explanation in her own words follow the images:
Forest Rocks, 2016
oil on linen
100 x 90 cm 
Geomancy 2015
oil on birch panel
50 x 40 cm
Karsikkopuu ( memorial tree ) 2016
oil on linen
100 x 90 cm
Sentinel 2014
40 x 30 cm
pencil, ink and gouache on paper
Threshold Wall
Witch Sticks I2016
40 x 30 cm
gouache, pencil and ink on paper
Star
Pyre 2015
oil and pigment on composition board
61 x 61 cm
Birch Wand 2014
pencil ink and gouache on paper
40 x 29 cm
My practice centers around painting and works on paper, which explore the mysterious, space and atmospheric phenomena, and landscape and ritual. I am interested in the way environments shape our understanding and experience of the world around us, and the hidden meanings that are derived from plants, landscapes, seasons, and celestial phenomena.

Travel is an integral part of my practice. My work is informed and enriched through experiencing different environments and cultures, with periods of placing myself away from my home in order observe and gain fresh perspectives.
Most recently I have been focused on developing photographs, drawings and small paintings I have made over the time spent at the Arteles Creative Centre Residency in Finland, into larger bodies of work. I spent a month in winter in 2014, followed in 2015 by a month in summer, observing and exploring the forests, lakes, rocks and megaliths, and wilderness culture.  From these observations I have continued making many works on paper and larger scale paintings.  
I also became fascinated by rituals particular to Finnish nature worship and have continued working with mysterious symbols, imagined ritual objects and substances. I made images of memorial stones, forest burial grounds and illusory thresholds, objects and places might be used for conjuring supernatural forces, and contacting or remembering departed souls. Elements of rock, bone, wood, earth, and salt are interpreted and developed into imagined sacred objects. I have made my own objects for burial rituals, inspired by objects I found on the residencies in Finland, a trip to Volcanic forests near Taipei, and mysterious trees and rocks I have found closer to home in the Australian rainforest.
Chance plays a part in the creation of the images, from initially finding a shape with which to work, through to the movement of the paint and the fall of light and shadows across works on the desk or walls of my studio.
More information may be found at this link

No comments:

Post a Comment